Welcome

Welcome to my book blog. I hope that you will come often and explore some of the books we have available at the Wonewoc-Center School Library. I will try to post books as I book talk them or just read them for the fun of it. I hope you will join this blog and add your comments. I would love to hear your comments about these books and others. Happy Reading! Mrs. Chipman

Friday, June 29, 2012

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

This is a novel from 16 year old Hazel Grace Lancaster's point of view, a girl who has terminal lung cancer and has been battling cancer since she was thirteen. She has an oxygen tank attached to her via the tubes through her nose because in Hazels' words "My lungs suck at being lungs". When she attends a Cancer Children Support Meeting and encounters Augustus Waters, her life changes dramatically.
Augustus provided much needed companionship, humour, and reminded Hazel not to let the cancer consume her; to not let it take away her hopes, dreams and social life. He also showed her what it felt like to be unconditionally loved. His bravado and swagger was very much like how a young male might handle situations, but he was also not afraid to let Hazel (and the reader) see his vulnerable side. The witty and thought-provoking conversation between the two really helped the flow, and lightened the mood of a novel surrounding a rather serious topic. They ask the questions that relates to all of us: Will I be loved? Will I be remembered? Will I leave a mark? (http://www.guardian.co.uk/childrens-books-site/2012/may/04/fault-in-our-stars-john-green-review)

Video Book Trailer
Booklist interview with author John Greene

No comments:

Post a Comment