Welcome

Welcome to my book blog. I hope that you will come often and explore some of the books we have available at the Wonewoc-Center School Library. I will try to post books as I book talk them or just read them for the fun of it. I hope you will join this blog and add your comments. I would love to hear your comments about these books and others. Happy Reading! Mrs. Chipman

Monday, August 9, 2010

One Crazy Summer


It is 1968, and three sisters are put on a plane bound for California to spend the summer with a mother that left them when the youngest was born. Delphine, the oldest, has a few fragmented memories and a lot of information from Big Ma about Cecile, her mother. Vonetta and Fern have Delphine, a mature 11 year old, not afraid to take on the world. Their dream of a mother who wants and loves them is short-lived when they get to Oakland and find a mother who hardly acknowledges them, won't let them in the kitchen, and sends them to a Black Panther summer camp to eat and spend the day. The girls lean a lot about themselves, the Black Panthers, their mother and the world in the 28 days they spend with Cecile.

No comments:

Post a Comment